Collections Finding Aids
This area of the website contains Finding Aids created by Museum of Flight staff to provide access to the archival and primary source materials held in the archives of the museum.
The finding aids are arranged in alphabetical order by collection title. New finding aids are added every quarter so check back periodically to see what is new.
What are finding aids?
Finding aids are individual documents that describe the contents of archival collections held at The Museum of Flight.
The Museum’s finding aids contain the following elements:
Overview of Collection
This section of the collection guide contains general information about the collection, including the title, the collection number, the dates of the materials in the collection, the size of the collection, and a summary description of what the collection contains.
Biographical Note or Historical Note
Where possible, a short biography or history is included in every collection guide. This narrative provides background information and context for the collection.
The content description provides a summary of the contents of the collection.
This section provides a brief description of the way the collection is physically arranged.
Primary Language of the Collection
This section indicates the primary language of the collection. Subgroups and folders may also have language notes to indicate a difference from the Primary Language.
Detailed Description of the Collection
The collection description, often called the inventory, provides a folder (or in some cases an item) listing of the contents of the collection.
Although this section contains the actual inventory to the contents of the collection, it is important to read the front matter, too-especially the Historical Note, Content Description, and Arrangement-to understand the context of the items.
This section contains information regarding the acquisition and use of the collection, related materials, restrictions on using the collection, and various other notes that may be of interest to those who want to use the collection to conduct research. This section also contains information on the owner of the copyright in the collection, which is important if you plan on publishing any portion of it.
Subjects Detailed Description of the Collection
These headings reflect the topics covered by the materials in the collection.
Finding Aids Downloads (PDF)
Click to view, right-click to download / save.
- 1923 Air Races - Pulitzer Trophy Race Photos 16.6 KB
- Abbey, George Collection 161.25 KB
- Aerocar Moulton Taylor Collection 63.31 KB
- Allen, William Collection 46.37 KB
- Anderson, Elise Collection 19.25 KB
- Archibald, Norman Collection 30.34 KB
- Blake, Robert Pan American Airlines Collection 44.42 KB
- Boeing, Varney, Pacific Air Transport Collections 26.44 KB
- Boeing, William E. Collection 114.23 KB
- Delonardo, James Collection 22.58 KB
- Douglas Document and Library Collection 263.36 KB
- Douglas World Cruiser 31.41 KB
- Elliott, A. and Merrill, Mildred Collection 78.38 KB
- Embree, Lee Pearl Harbor Photos 17.82 KB
- Enola Gay Crew Interviews 20.57 KB
- Gertler-Wright Papers 399.13 KB
- Heath Parasol Construction Notes and Photos 41.88 KB
- Jeppesen Collection 183.52 KB
- Lagen, Marc WWI Balloon Observation 14.51 KB
- LeBert-McDonnell Collection 80.13 KB
- Luckey, William Collection 16.05 KB
- Marsh, Louis Collections 35.22 KB
- Mcnally, Roger Roma Airship Crash 15.92 KB
- Montgomery 3-View Drawings 207.67 KB
- Nordhoff-Bellevue Airport Collection 29.05 KB
- Orthman Shanghai WWII 15.15 KB
- Short, Robert Collection 18.07 KB
- Stevens, Robert Collection 327.94 KB
- Schairer, George Engineering Collection 103.17 KB
- Scott, Clayton Collection 26.43 KB
- Stewart, James 56thBG Collection 65.57 KB
- Taylor, James 498th BG TSquare54 19.67 KB
- UK Aviation Patents 425 KB
- VCS-7 Pilots and Crew Photos 17.65 KB
- Wright, Col. Frank W. Collection 15.58 KB